martedì 9 giugno 2015

Photographer Interview: Cash Mattock

View email in browser.

Hi Gio,

Welcome to round two of our interview series. This week features an interview with producer, musician, and visual artist Cash Mattock. You can find him on Instagram @cashmattock or on his website, Cash Mattock Inc.

His work feels like a parody of a not-so-unbelievable dystopian future, though he classifies his work as whimsical -- aspiring to create in the vein of one of his artistic idols, Terry Gilliam.

We got a hold of Cash for a short interview about his inspiration, his favorite photo editing app, and his history with visual art. Enjoy!
How did you discover Easy Tiger Apps and what compelled you to post the pictures you created with the apps on your Instagram?
"I think I discovered Split Pic about two years ago. I was playing around with it and then a light went off in my head. Everything I was doing up to that point came together and I realized that this app gave me the ability to create images like the ones I had admired for years. 

I've used Photoshop for web stuff and creating album covers for some of the artists on my record label, but there was something about Split Pic that really opened things up for me. I think it's because it's a collage app and a double exposure app in one. Plus, it has photo editing, built-in filters, and high resolution output. It's everything I needed."
How would you classify your style?
"I draw inspiration from a less than perfect world which trickles through everything I do, including my music. I try to throw in a bit of satire when I can. Some of my edits are more beautiful and colorful than others and I wouldn't say that I fall into any strict definition of a category.

I'd like to think of myself as whimsical like Terry Gilliam (wishful thinking). All I want my work to do is make people think."
What's the inspiration behind the photos you post?
"I think the main thing that inspires me is the pictures that I work with. What I do stems from my love for collage and since I'm not completely creating something out of nothing the pictures are players in the final image. I have collections of hundreds of stock photos. There are certain pictures that speak to me in some way and then I find the matching components that, to me, bring together a sort of cohesiveness.

I use a lot of things to inspire my music and lyrics and Insta posts -- one of those things is art that I love. I call them my muses. I had a channel on Pheed that quickly and unintentionally turned into an art blog, using a lot of collage and double exposure photography. 

Antonio Mora who's known for his double exposure portraits has had a great influence on me."
How has your visual art evolved?
"I've never attempted to make art like this before and certainly not for a following. My early Split Pic stuff was on Pheed. They were shots of full figures and scenes. I didn't take myself that seriously and the image quality was not that great, but I learned a lot. That's when I started to migrate towards the portrait style that you see in my gallery now.

Pheed stopped updating the app over a year ago, and in February my channel became inaccessible and was eventually erased. That's what brought me to Instagram for the first time in months. It's also what drove me to officially attempt to bridge the gap between music and visual art."
Thanks for the interview, Cash. Looking forward to seeing what you create next!

Follow @cashmattock to keep up with his work. 

Don't forget to tag @EasyTigerApps and use #EasyTigerApps in your posts for a chance to be featured on our IG and interviewed for this series.

Much love,

Easy Tiger Apps
 
Find our full suite of apps on the App Store!
 

If you wish to stop receiving our emails or change your subscription options, please Manage Your Subscription
Easy Tiger Apps LLC, 36 Linden St., Brooklyn NY 11221

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento